"'Our family’s faith is in Jesus Christ and is not dependent on outcomes.' ...We do all that we can for the healing of a loved one, and then we trust in the Lord for the outcome."
- Elder Dallin H. Oaks

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

And, I am laying it all out there. Again.

I have seriously debated whether or not to post about this. But, I went to my RS Enrichment birthday party tonight and during a slide show, a quote from President Monson really struck a chord with me.  I realized that if for nothing else than journaling my impressions and the strength it gave to my testimony, it was important. WARNING: This is really long, and EXTREMELY personal. Please, take this for what it is, and know that I KNOW I made a mistake. 
I struggle so much with feelings of inadequacy, especially when it comes to my boys. I worry about what I may be doing wrong as a mother, what long-term consequences may be as a result of the mistakes that I make on a daily basis, and even whether or not I am building the right kind of strong, trusting relationships that mother's should have with their sons.  So at the risk of judgement, here I go...
The process of buying and selling and then moving from one house to another was not exactly pleasant. It was one thing after another and caused me enough anxiety and stress that I had actual physical repercussions.  Still trying to recover from my craziness, on Thursday I refilled a prescription and put it in my zipped purse. When I got home, I set my purse on the counter and went about my business. You know where this is going, right? 
The next thing I knew, Benson had pulled a chair over to the counter and unzipped my purse. (I can only assume that he was looking for a paci or candy) He had managed to open my prescription and as far as I could tell, took twice the dose that I take. 
I called poison control and desperately crawled around on the floor looking for the missing pill. Not able to locate the extra dose, I told the man from poison control he must have taken it. He told me to hurry to the ER because it was an extremely high dose for a boy so small. 
All at the same time, my cousin's husband showed up (for another entirely different reason), but helped me get the boys and my friend's daughter loaded in the car. As I was pulling out, my friend's sister came to pick up the girl I was babysitting. I asked her to stay with the boys and I left for the hospital. Because he was at work, I was unable to get in touch with Josh, so my friend met me at the ER. Benson was definitely more mellow and acted tired and the way you would expect an overdosed toddler to act. 
Poison control had called ahead to let them know I was coming, so they took us right back and put him on monitors. Still unable to get Josh on the phone, I called my brother and Jon (my cousin's husband, who had helped me earlier) and they came to give Benson a blessing.  
An 1-1/2 hour after getting there, the doctor FINALLY came in. He looked at Benson, who was crawling around on the bed acting like a dog, and asked me if he had really taken any medicine. I told him I was sure because I had tried to clean it out of his mouth. He told me that he didn't think he showed any signs of overdose. Of course, at that point (after his blessing) I didn't think he showed any signs either. 
Instead of admitting him (which is what they would usually do), they sent us home around 10 PM. Benson acts fine. You would never know anything had happened. I KNOW that it was an answer to my prayers and as a result of the sweet blessing my brother administered to him. 
I can't even express how grateful I am for the opportunity I have to ask my Heavenly Father for forgiveness and that he can make up for my inadequacies. (Including leaving medicine in my purse on the counter). I honestly didn't think twice about it. It didn't occur to me that Benson or one of the other boys, for that matter, could get into it. I guess if I had sat down and analyzed it, I would have thought to put it up and away. It was just one of those out-of-sight, out-of-mind moments. 
I know that many of you probably have plenty of thoughts of what I should have done or could have done to prevent it, but it really was an honest mistake. All I can say is that I am so grateful that Heavenly Father is watching out for my boys and that he has given us the gift of the priesthood and that my sweet little baby is alright. I know that I am not the mother that my boys should have, and I am really trying my best to be who they need me to be. 
In the mean time, I have been praying and expressing my gratitude for the blessing that protected Benson, but also trying to understand why I would be blessed with these three little boys that I don't deserve. Three little boys that I love dearly but fear I am not capable of raising. 
Now to the reason why I decided to post this story. Tonight I heard a quote from President Monson.  He said, "My dear sisters, do not pray for tasks equal to your abilities, but pray for abilities equal to your tasks. Then the performance of your tasks will be no miracle, but you will be the miracle."
I can only pray that I can be that for my boys. I pray that I will remember the scripture that means so much to me recently: "Listen to him who is the advocate with the Father, who is pleading your cause before him-- Saying: Father, behold the sufferings and death of him who did no sin, in whom thou was well pleased; behold the blood of thy Son which was shed, the blood of him whom thou gavest that thyself might be glorified; Wherefore, Father, spare these my brethren that believe on my name that they may come unto me and have everlasting life." (D&C 45:3-5). 
On Sunday, the bishopric in our new ward asked Josh and I to speak on the 5th Sunday of the month. Go figure that they asked us to talk on the Atonement/Easter. I guess the Lord knows I need the enabling and cleansing power that He offers through the Atonement.

14 comments:

Emili said...

Wow Kristen! My Mom always calls experiences like those "hugs" from the Lord. I often feel like I come up short as a Mom too, but so blessed to have my children. Seems like we need reality checks now and then to give us glimpses of how hard life could be for us if something happened to them. I'm glad Bensen is okay!

Kandice said...

Kristen, you are a wonderful mother, and I know it. I know how terrbly stressful moving is, that is why I have vowed to never do it again. It has been 5 years since we moved, and I STILL have major anxiety thinking about how hard it was.
As for the poison/pill part, let me tell you a little story. I had to call poison control THREE times in ONE day. It was horrible. Gavin ate a whole bottle of vitamins. Kayler ate a leaf of a poisonous plant, and Hallie decided to drink nail polish. What the heck was I doing.....I was right there-duh...just not fast enough to stop them. I was SURE they were going to call DCFS on me.
Anyways, I hope you are feeling better about it now. You are and always have been an amazing person with a great spirit. Thanks for the sharing of the story, quotes, experience, etc.
I wish I wasn't such a chicken with the problems with Kayler and all and just had the courage to have playdates and get out more with more people. When I get brave I will give you a call!
Have a good day!

Mark and Colette said...

Sister!! You are way to hard on your self. PLEASE stop it! The Lord loves you and he knows you are doing your best. Please don't call yourself bad names. It is as bad as calling me a bad mother and you would never do that right? So don't do it to yourself. Love your self. NOW! Trust God! He trusts you, that is why he gave you the boys!! Love ya more then you will ever know. Love Colette

Candy said...

OH my goodness Kristen, don't feel bad at all. It was an innocent mistake that could have happened to anyone. You are so such a great mom, you are invested in your boys and try to do what's best for them. You love them and you'd do anything for them. Don't feel bad. Great quote, thanks for sharing. You are such a spiritual giant...I need to be more like you!

Hope said...

Whoa-Shadoa! You are being WAYYYY too hard on yourself. But I know where it is coming from. Satan knows that we mothers have tender hearts and that our feelings toward our children are easily swayed into what we can talk ourselves into believing are inadequacies. You are a GREAT mom--your boys know you love them. Your boys know you have a testimony. Your boys are already forming testimonies. What else do your boys need? Everyone has doubts about themselves, their abilities, their mistakes. The mere fact that you are so concerned shows that any mistakes you may make are not going to be of much consequance. By the way, Carson has nearly injested one of my birth control pills on two (YES TWO) different occasions. The only thing that stopped him was once his sister and the other time I walked in at the right moment. At least yours was in your purse. Mine was out on my bathroom counter. And I can't tell you how much dog food Wyatt ate as a kid. And let's not forget when I left the curling iron blatantly out, PLUGGED IN, and Carson grabbed it. It happens.

Tari said...

Oh girly, you are a wonderful mother! I have seen first hand what a great mom you are and the extra stuff that you do for your boys. Let me tell you most moms don't put that much effort into their parenting, me included. There is no way you can be everywhere at once and stop them from everything that might be dangerous. The Lord loves you and I know if he can forgive me for my sins, there is no doubt in my mind that He has already forgiven you. And not for forgetting about your perscription......but for being so hard on your self ;)
Love ya girl!

Kristi said...

Kristen you are being way to hard on yourself! Honestly I would have never even thought twice about putting a perscription or medicine in my purse. I am so sorry that you had to go through that! Thank you so much for sharing it, and for the amazing quote, it sent chills up my arms. You are such an amazing mother!

Jennifer said...

Wow Kristen you are being way to hard on yourself!! Moving is stressful and difficult. Changes in your routine are hard so don't be upset over a mistake, everyone makes them. Benson is fine and it sounds like the Lord sent you a lot of help at the right moment. You might not know it, but you are a strong and wonderful person. Your sons know you are and love you very much.

Kristin said...

You are one of the best mothers I know and I look up to you. The Lord never intended us to be perfect in this life otherwise what would the point be? Thanks for sharing your experience and I believe things like this are what remind us of the Lord's literal hand in our lives. Thanks for being a great friend and example.

James and Jade Bethers said...

KRISTEN!!!!! Lighten up! Nobody is a perfect parent. We ALL make mistakes and there is nothing that can really be done about it. That is why we were given the atonement...because we are not perfect and will never be while we are here on earth. You are a wonderful mother and person! Quit beating yourself up....you are AWESOME!!!!!

Mike, Sha, Kenna, Kate, & Garrett said...

OH Kristen, you are way to hard on yourself. Things happen, and Benson is Houdini! I can't even get those bottles open. We all make mistakes. You are a great mother and your boys are lucky to have you. I love you!

Mindy and Larry said...

Kristen! Your boys are very lucky to have such a loving mother as you! Unfortunately, no parent is perfect...otherwise, we'd probably not be here anymore. Unlike my mistake in leaving my glasses down on the ground where James could find them, you at least put your meds. up on the counter in a closed purse. I've done that very same thing before (thankfully James isn't a climber)! And you did nothing wrong but everything right, including calling Poison Control, getting him to the ER, and calling on the Priesthood to help! You are exactly who Benson needs, and because of your faith, quick thinking and following the Spirit, and your heartfelt prayers, he's okay!!!! Sure love you!

The Paulks said...

I'm so glad that you are all okay! Being a mom is so hard; way harder than I expected it to be! I'm thankful that you shared your story and your testimony. I'm such a believer in priesthood blessings, and I'm glad Benson is ok!

Heidi said...

If there is anything I would say is that this story illustrates to the world the enormous amount of faith you have. Benson is fine and you had the good sense to a) ask for a blessing and b) have enough faith in the Lord to know that he would not make any of your children pay for your *percieved* short comings. You are a wonderful mother with 3 little ones who the Lord knew he could trust to your care. Busy as they are, you manage it all like a trooper. Breathe and move forward....