Thanks to my mom and Colette for reminding me that I need to update with "the rest of the story" about McKay. Especially since I got myself all worked up, and so many of you were supportive and helpful in your comments. I've got more to blog about Eliza, her blessing and the boys and Josh, but for now... McKay:
I left you wondering what I should do about McKay's situation. It turns out that I didn't have to do anything. McKay took care of it.
His teachers played a game with M&Ms and talked about how each M&M was good, but that they were all different. They gave the students a chance to tell something different about themselves. Their answers were typical for five-year-olds.
However, when it was McKay's turn, he stood up in front of those 20-plus kids (including the ones that had been mean) and told them that he was different because he had two fingers. He showed them his arm and told them that he was born that way, that Heavenly Father sent him to our family because we love him. And then he told them that he can do everything each of them can do. He told them that he was special and that he wanted to be their friend.
Yes, that was my five-year-old little boy. That was my little boy standing in front of the class with poise and confidence and just taking the opportunity to tell it like it is and to make a point that it is NO BIG DEAL.
Disclaimer: I try really hard when I blog to be real. I try to not talk about only the good things or the bad things, but to talk about our life like it really is. I try to not paint myself as someone I am not. As a super-mom, whom I KNOW I will never be. We aren't perfect, we have days that we are lazy and watch more TV than we should. My boys are hilarious, active, sometimes naughty, and often tender hearted and sweet. I try to be a good mom, but I have my moments that I am not proud of; that I wish I could change.
That being said, I am going to take the opportunity to say that I am SO proud of my little boy. I am so proud that he was brave and that he reached out to be their friend, even after some of them had been so cruel. I am thankful, that despite the mistakes I make as a parent, McKay is a good boy. He took the initiative to be the bigger and better person and now he has friends waiting to play with him everyday.
18 comments:
yay for mckay! it sounds like you are a great mama - giving him the tools to take care of himself.
What an amazing, strong, special little guy McKay is! You have so much to be proud of in him. He was the bigger person as a five year old than some adults are at 35. What a great story Kristen and thanks for sharing :)
Awesome, amazing story, I LOVE it! Mckay is definitely a special little boy, what an example to all of us. Thanks for telling the rest of the story. :)
That is great to hear. He truly is an amazing and special boy who I KNOW will do amazing things in this life. Love you guys!!
yessss! we love mcKay! tell him we love him and we are so happy that he is just the way he is! Love, Jeramy and Shannon
I love reading that even more than hearing about it at the campout. He IS amazing, which is a credit to you and Josh. You are great parents to 4 special spirits! And I'm looking forward to you post about Josh. Has he had the MRI yet?
What a special ending to the story, and I hope and pray that the rest of McKay's time at Connections will be a happy and fun one! BTW- It sounds like the teachers were told by the Connections director to address "differences" in a lesson after you had talked to the director when this all started. You were right on, Mama Bear! Thank goodness those teachers did the M&M activity, and it's truly amazing how well the Lord opened the way for McKay to stand up and talk for himself in a such a safe and structured setting! I'm very impressed with him and with all of your boys! You and Josh are incredible parents! What an inspiration to see you all, last weekend! I love you!
Good job, McKay! He's going to be an awesome man! Seriously, if he can be that confident and Christ-like at five, he's going to do well. Yay! That ending makes me happy.
You are a great mom and the truth is, we all watch too much t.v!
I'm so glad things worked out!
McKay is such a neat kid! Good for him. I know he was able to do that and handle it so well because you and Josh have been so great but it. Love ya!
Awe I just love that little McKay! He's awesome! What an expamle to all of us!
Aww, you should be SO proud of him! That is awesome. Thanks so much for the other night, I needed that so much. You look great, and have such an awesome spirit. Have a great day! :)
I love you guys!
Oh I am so glad you finished the story I will have to give matt he update we both were so sad when we heard the first part of the story. He is so tender and close to God. He is a good example to all of us!
What a strong and amazing little boy!!! I am a 50 year old grandma and I wouldn't be able to do what he did. Good job McKay!!!!
What a breath of fresh air to hear your post!
Kids are amazing and resilient, and little McKay is a fine example of both!
You are a AWESOME mom and wife. Never put yourself down, PLEASE! I love you with all my heart.
Colette
That made me tear up. He is such a sweet kid and you are an amazing mom.
Post a Comment