Ok, I don't know exactly how I feel about posting right now, but I feel like I need to.
Let's be honest. We live in a small town on the corner of a super busy street. It's no surprise that the word spread like wildfire that we had an ambulance, a paramedic truck and a Uintah County Sheriff at our house on Tuesday morning. It was just before 8am. Just in time for people to be headed to work and dropping their kids off at school. I know that most people are sincerely concerned and we really do appreciate the love and support, so... let's set the record straight.
Josh was getting ready to head out the door to a meeting for work when he said, "Oh no!" and then hit the floor. I barely had time to ask him what was wrong when he was trying to tell me to call 911.
Stupid phone was not on the jack and I panicked looking for it. I actually don't even remember where I found it before I was dialing and rushing back to Josh.
By this time McKay and Benson had clued in to the fact that something was wrong and they followed me into our room where Josh was lying on the floor having a seizure. The woman who answered my 911 call asked me to have someone meet the paramedics at the door. I panicked because I didn't want to leave my husband and I didn't want to send my kids to the door either.
I immediately started calling the most recent calls on my cell phone.
I tried to call my mom. No answer. Must have been driving.
I tried to call my sister. No answer.
I tried Toni. Thank you Toni for answering and rushing out the door.
It's all kind of a blur but it felt like it lasted forever. Josh was conscious the entire time he was seizing and said that it was a scary almost out-of-body experience because he was totally out of control of his body.
I just remember McKay and Benson kneeling at his head asking me if he was dying. I told them that he wasn't, but actually I had a this picture in my mind of the tumor seeping into the channels of his brain and spreading itself further and deeper. I was afraid he was dying too. I wasn't even convinced it was a seizure because it almost looked like a stroke. Only the right side of his body was shaking and the muscles were contracted and pulling at his limbs and face. We said a prayer. McKay was trying not to cry, and he said, "I don't want to say it Mom, you say it." So I did.
Finally the paramedics arrived and at some point Toni and my sister got there. Not sure if it was before or after the paramedics or maybe at the same time. Hmmm... I realize now that I am not sure how my sister knew to come. I had tried her cell but got no answer. Note to self: Must ask Emily how she knew to come.
After somehow farming out my kids and while knowing they were in good hands, and hoping that they (and those taking care of them) would be alright, I went out to follow the ambulance to the hospital. I waited for a minute in the truck and then wondered what was taking them so long. I went to check on Josh. I found them trying to place an IV. Poor Josh. They weren't having very much success and Josh actually got sick and threw up while they were trying to get the IV in this place and that. I guess all the stress from the seizure and everything made him nauseous and it didn't help to have them miss a vein and try for another over and over.
We finally made it to the ER where they decided it would be best to find out from the specialists at the Huntsman Cancer Institute that Josh has been seeing, what they wanted him to do. So after several hours in the ER, he was sent home with anti-seizure medication and we planned to follow up with the specialists.
So on Wednesday, we went to his regular infusion (which is for a study group that he is part of). The nurse practitioner over Neuro-Oncology came to talk to us and said that she thought he would be fine to wait until his next scheduled MRI. We weren't I told her I didn't think it was alright to leave the hospital with no answers. Especially since he had never had a seizure up until that point. She argued that maybe he was over tired. I argued back that he has been plenty tired since he started treatment and it didn't seem likely that just now his body would react by seizing. When Josh said that he would much rather be pro-active, she agreed to schedule an MRI for us. However it wouldn't be until the end of the day and so we would have to make the decision to either stay another night, or to go home. We decided to stay in case we needed to be here Thursday.
Just as we were making the decision, we heard back that we would need to be back on Thursday morning to discuss with members of the tumor board what do do next. His tumor has grown. We don't know yet by how much, since we just got a phone call tonight. I guess tomorrow will be more telling.
Until then, I just keep reminding myself that the image I saw in my mind during his seizure was preparation. Even though the Lord may not answer prayers the way we want them answered, they are always answered in our best interest according to His eternal perspective. We will be ok. Things will be fine. Josh is great and has a really good attitude about it all. Deep inside, I know that now matter what, it will be ok. It's just scary and hard to hear what we heard. Too many things go through my mind. Too many "what ifs" and unknowns are floating around in my head.
In the Book of Mormon it says that murmuring is to disbelieve. I am trying to not murmur. I am trying to be strong like Josh.
27 comments:
Dear Kristen,
I'm so sorry you have to go through this. I'm sure you hear people tell you all kinds of things,but what I will tell you is only this; I know Heavenly Father lives and knows us so much better than we know ourselves or each other, that Jesus Christ has paid for not just our sins, but our sorrows, angry, confusion and lack of understanding and given us hope because of our faith. Not wishful hope, like crossing your fingers but an absolute expectation that what He promises will be. I can only try to put myself in your shoes and try to understand, but He has been where you are and He knows how to heal your heart and give you a peace which passes all understanding. Heaven must smile down upon your faithful family and angels must surely be round about you. Lean on those of us who love you and can physically help, but lean just as hard on the unseen hands that help. They are there. We love you and keep you constantly in our hearts and prayers, knowing that prayer is real, hope comes of faith and anchors our souls in Christ. He is the way the truth and the life. Love,Aunt Wendy
I am thinking about you Kristen. Thanks for sharing with us what is in your heart. Love you.
Krisin, I am SO sorry you guys are in our prayers and if you need anything help with your kids or anything at all please don't be afraid to ask we would love to have them. Good luck and we will continue to pray for you guys.
Kristen, I'm sending all the love from my heart to yours. I hope you feel all the love we all have for you and your family. Josh is an amazing person, with an amazing wife, and the best of kids. Heavenly Father is very mindful of you, I am sure.
Please call me and Aubrey if there is anything you need.
Sending my hugs your way!!! Love you and are praying for you!!! If you need anything just let me know!!!
Kristen, my thoughts and prayers are always with you and Josh and your darling family! Your strength and faith is so inspiring to me. Know that if you ever need anything at all, I am here!
My dear friends: Cannot tell you how much I feel for your little family. We think of your often and admire your faith and hope in all things. Your feet are grounded where they should be but your spirits soar as they should! Enjoy your time together, make every minute count. Don't worry about the What Ifs...the Savior has taken care of that, it is a burden you do NOT need to shoulder. Thank you for your shining example, the Lord IS blessing your little family, though 'tis hard to see it now. From my great age...looking back... I can remember you and Melissa and Alicia and Emily at YW and church and doing all the right things. That is bearing fruit in your life now. Hope there is better news in the days ahead. Bless you Josh for being such a great man, Kristin deserved nothing but the best and she got him! We pray for you and love you much. Wade & Deb Southam
We love you Kristen and Josh! Thanks for sharing with us, even though it was hard to write this all down. We are hoping that the meetings with the Drs go well today, that they will be able to determine what is going on and what can be done next. James also thinks about and prays for his Uncle Josh every night! We love you!
It's too early to call you right now - but in an hour I'll call and see how long you're going to be in Salt Lake. Talk to you soon, love you!
OH Kristen, I sit here with tears rolling down my cheeks and my heart aching for you in getting that news. And having you and your boys(Josh included) having to dealing with the scary seizure. Yes, keep believing!! Love you!
I don't have any strong words for you Kristen. The things that are running through my head are you are such an amazing woman, your boys are amazing boys, I am SO sorry..... I can't imagine how you feel, and I wish there was more that we all could do for you. Know that you and your family are in my constant thoughts and prayers.
I am praying for you. The future is unsure but the Plan is set, and the end result will always be happiness, hence the name "Plan of Happiness." If you EVER need anything - call me. I would do anything for you. Come rain or shine, flights home, whatever it takes!
You're AWESOME! This is Enduring it Well! Love you more then you now!
Oh, Kristen. My heart aches for you. Reading how McKay and Benson were asking if he was going to die was just heartbreaking. How sad and scary for them.
But, how special that you held it together. And that we have the truthfulness of the gospel. You're such a strong person, and a great example to me.
Love you, and good luck in the coming weeks/months!
You are strong and very intune with the spirit. The Lord will take care of you and Josh and your little family! Thanks for being such a great inspiration to us all and allowing us into your lives! :)
I've thought about you a ton...When I was in the temple a few days before it closed for maintenance I had the strongest feeling to put your name on the prayer roll. I know that you have literally hundreds of people praying for you daily. Thanks so much for the update!
Kristen, I love you and want you to know that your family is constantly in my thoughts and prayers. You are such an inspiration to me and an amazing example. Love you!
Oh my goodness, if you ever need to chat feel free to give me a ring.
You two are awesome!
Kristen, sometimes words don't even come close to expressing our thoughts and i'm certainly far from articulating my thoughts well. Please know that I LOVE YOU SO MUCH. I hope you find strength and comfort in knowing that we are praying for you, Josh, and your sweet children. - Shannon, Jeramy and kids
Kristen-
If I were as wise as your aunt Wendy, I would have written everything she said. How amazing to read about all the people who care so much for you and your family. You are such an example to me...
Thank you for sharing your strength and hope! After reading on FB I was left to wonder if everything was okay. Thanks for letting us know! Your family is in our thoughts and prayers! Keep the faith!
Elisa
oh Kristen, I am so sorry! What a scary thing to have to deal with! Heavenly Father does have a plan and you are enduring your part of that plan so well. You are strong. You are amazing. You can do this. I love you. I pray for you. GOod job for sticking up for Josh and getting a sooner MRI. Please update when you find out something. I think about you often.
I feel the best I can say is to hold on to hope. Even when your heart aches hold on tight. I love ya.
chandra
Thanks for the update! I'm so sorry your boys had to see that. You amaze me with your strength and I hope to someday measure up! I'm glad that we have the gospel to help keep things in proper perspective for us especially during our trials! Our prayers are with you and your family!
There are no words....... but i think of you and your family often. I pray for you often as well. i"m with Chandra hold on to hope. Heidi
We had a little scare in our family a few weeks ago. I was so frightened and it wasn't even an inkling of what your going through.
I can't imagine! I'm so sorry! I know you've heard this a million times but you ARE in my prayers!
Post a Comment