"'Our family’s faith is in Jesus Christ and is not dependent on outcomes.' ...We do all that we can for the healing of a loved one, and then we trust in the Lord for the outcome."
- Elder Dallin H. Oaks

Sunday, October 3, 2010

"Live for the Miracle"

After listening to President Monson's talk about gratitude today, I realize that I can't keep putting off this post "until tomorrow." I usually post at night because I don't have the interruptions of three little boys, just occasionally a sweet baby girl. But lately I can't get myself to do it because I am too tired late at night. I also do most of my thinking in the late night hours and early morning hours. (And then I wonder why I am so tired!) So, this post is almost a week in the making.  It's also titled after a new friend's answered prayer. (More on that later...)
Last Tuesday, Josh had another marathon appointment day. First off was an MRI, blood work, consultation with the new Neuro-Oncologist Dr. Coleman, and then an infusion. 
After the MRI a month ago, I wasn't sure I could let myself hope for anything but the worst-case scenario. I kinda felt like if I just plan on the so-called inevitable, it wouldn't hurt as much. I would be more in control, more prepared, more capable.  
Much to our delight, the MRI was much better than last month! The tumor didn't absorb as much contrast, suggesting that the blood vessels feeding the tumor are not as active! In addition to the good news, I am so grateful for the new doctor at the Huntsman Cancer Institute. Dr. Coleman is their long-awaited Neuro-Oncologist who comes from the MD Anderson Cancer Center in Texas. He has been treating and studying brain cancer for nine-plus years, and I was SO thankful that he was patient and kind enough to thoroughly answer my 45 minutes of questions. I think that Josh was getting embarrassed, but after Dr. Coleman called my questions, "sophisticated" I didn't care anymore. I realized that he was acknowledging that my questions were good and important and that I had the right to hear the answers. I can't say that he gave me any answers that eased the uncertainty or reality of knowing that my husband has terminal brain cancer, but his answers were an answer to my prayers, lifted the burden, and somehow let me hope again. 
I know it is terrible to admit, but after Josh started having seizures, I really was afraid to hope. It's just what I said before, I felt like I could maybe keep my heart from completely falling apart if I was there ready to catch the pieces. Anyone who has been following my blog might remember how hopeful I felt in August after watching Josh run and play with the boys. I was so hopeful that after he had his first seizure I almost felt like it was Heavenly Father reminding me that He is in charge and that I must be willing to accept the Lord's will. 
After this visit with the doctor, I realized that it wasn't like the Lord was slapping me on the hand (so-to-speak), but that it is just part of the roller-coaster we've been riding for the last six months. We were able to have lunch with another couple who have been on the same roller-coaster for five years. (Yep, I said five years!) Our hearts were full of gratitude for their faith and perseverance in their trial. What great examples for us to look up to and learn from. In fact they were sharing a recent challenge, their struggle and then answer to prayer when I realized that the answer they received was the tender mercy I had been looking for. They said they had the impression to "live for the miracle." I immediately felt more of the weight lifting from my shoulders. I realized that I was physically and emotionally experiencing what I had been praying for. The atonement was healing my hurting heart.  I was feeling the peace I had been craving and yet fearing to allow myself to experience. 
Josh just took his last dose of chemo for this round and we will be going back at the end of the month for another MRI and consult with Dr. Coleman. Josh's birthday is this month. He will be 32. I am so grateful that six months ago the tumor was found and that we were able to meet with doctors and get Josh started on treatments. After his surgery, Dr. Jensen told my mom and I that it was probably aggressive enough that without treatment it could take him in 3 to 6 months. 
Well, he was able to started and continue with treatment and now it is six months later and while we are still taking it one day at a time, we are happy and hopeful. 
Our children are a joy and have been so good to sense when I need a love or a snuggle! They always seem to say the funniest things at just the right moments! Each one of them are tender mercies for which we are extremely grateful. 
This conference weekend was restful and healing. (I find it ironic that last conference weekend Josh was resting and healing from brain surgery!)
I hope this never seems redundant or loses its sincerity. We are grateful for all those who have wrapped their arms around us to build us up and strengthen our spirits. We are extremely thankful for prayers in our behalf and hope that those who are praying are aware that your prayers are being answered.  We feel of your faith!

14 comments:

Kristi said...

Your words never cease to amaze me, and bring tears. I can't imagine what a blessing and source of peace it has been to make new friends going through the "same" trials. I love that "Live for the Miracle." We all can learn from those four words! (I think you should ask them permission and write a book titled that.)

I LOVED conference. I couldn't take my eyes off the screen when the prophet spoke Sunday morning, all I could imagine was if I feel this much love from him, I cannot even fathom the love our Savior and Heavenly Father have for us.

You are constantly in our thoughts and prayers!

Mindy said...

Beautiful, wonderful thoughts. I love that... "live for the miracle". Every day is a miracle, isn't it? :)

~Christine~ said...

You truly are an inspiration in faith and love and hope! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with everyone. We appreciate it. The conference talks were fantastic and it is so wonderful that each of us can "get something" out of each one! The Lord is amazing in how he delivers what we need. You're always in our prayers!

Mike, Sha, Kenna, Kate, & Garrett said...

Love the statement, "live for the miracle." Something I needed to be reminded of. Living for the good and not dwelling on what may be. I struggle with that really bad. I am continually amazed by your strength and love you and your family.

Kristin said...

I feel so blessed to be your friend. Your example of faith is amazing. Love you!!

Hope said...

I thought about you during Music and the Spoken word when Lloyd D. Newell shared the quote "He that keepeth thee, shall never slumber or sleep". When we face trials, I think night time is often the most difficult time. We're left alone with our thoughts, and sometimes our fears take over. Brother Newell continued with a quote by Victor Hugo which ended with "Go to sleep in peace. God is awake." I'm so happy you have felt more peace. I understand what you mean when you say sometimes we're afraid to let ourselves hope because it does leave us vulnerable and we wonder if it's better to prepare ourselves for worst possibility...but if we're not prepared for the best, how can we expect to receive it? How wonderful that you felt a tender mercy and that the Lord reassured you that it's okay to hope for the best. Remember, "God is awake", so have courage and patience. We're so proud of you and Josh; continue in the way you have been. We love you!

P.S. Kudos to you for asking the dr. as many questions as you needed to and not feeling ashamed. That's what they are there for!

Kandice said...

Thank you yet again for the update. I drive by your house a few times a week to go up to my parents and I always look at your cute house and wonder what is going on.
I am so glad you have had an optimistic past few days! Living on hope is the way to go.
Have a wonderful day. You will have to celebrate a huge 32nd bday for Josh! Every day is something to be grateful for. :)

Emili said...

Oh Kristen! I'm so glad the MRI came back better! You have been on my mind so much lately, know that my prayers are also with you.

Mark and Colette said...

You are ALWAYS in my thoughts and prayers. I love your faith and it gives me hope and courage. I love you sis and look up to you! OXOX

Candy said...

live for the miracle. I love that. I'm crying right now. i love you and pray for you and your family.
keep your chin up and live for the miracle.

The Paulks said...

Thank you for such uplifting words and thoughts. You are an amazing woman and your family is so blessed to have you!

Luvs to all of you!

Lacy said...

We are so blessed to have such sweet special spirits like president monsen to be our guide.

Yes Kristen, Keep the HOPE! Don't ever lose HOPE!!!

My aunt was given 3 months to live and she lived for ten years.
Fight, hope, and faith those are the reasons she lived so long!
Thanks for sharing.

Mindy and Larry said...

Wow, Kristen! What blessings you are receiving from the hands of the Lord and those He places in yours and Josh's paths! That other couple that you ate lunch with, I'm so glad that they were able to meet you two and share with you two that answer from the Lord to "live for the miracle." I have a strong testimony from some of my personal experiences that sometimes, Heavenly Father allows us to experience trials, not only to teach us and help us to grow, but also that we can be a source of solace and strength for others, who we will one day possibly cross paths with, that will be going through the same kinds of trials. And we will be right there to help lift up their hands that are hanging down and to strengthen their feeble knees through the strength of our faith. The peace and strengthing of your faith in the Lord is truly miraculous and inspiring to behold. Thank you for sharing your tender mercies and experiences with all of us! Much love to you and Josh and your children!

Briana said...

You are seriously amazing. I love your strenghth and it helps build me. Thank you for your strong example. Life for the Miracle....words to live by and I thnk you for that!! Can't wait to see you next week.