"'Our family’s faith is in Jesus Christ and is not dependent on outcomes.' ...We do all that we can for the healing of a loved one, and then we trust in the Lord for the outcome."
- Elder Dallin H. Oaks

Sunday, March 20, 2011

San Diego

We just got back from a trip to San Diego. I have to be honest. It was our first family vacation other than our yearly trips to Jackson Hole and camping. This hasn't been to Josh's preference. He has often mentioned that he wants to go on vacation here or there. (I am not a huge traveler. I am kind of a homebody and while I like the idea of traveling and seeing the world, when it comes right down to it I start to feel like it's a little more grandiose for my personality, I get all anxious and I just would rather stay in my comfort zone.) The truth is, we have just never prioritized the money to do it. With everything that has gone on, we decided that it was important to go ahead and plan a vacation, and with the help of my parents we made it happen. (Seriously, Mom and Dad, you will never know how much we appreciate it. We enjoyed spending the time with you, building memories, sharing laughs, and most importantly did something I didn't think was possible... we developed an even deeper appreciation for you as our parents and grew to love you so much more for all that you do for us. Please know how much we love you.) 

There is SO much to do in San Diego that we barely scratched the surface. We bought these great money saving cards called Go San Diego and had three days of unlimited entrance into participating businesses. We went to the beach, on a whale watching cruise, the U.S.S. Midway, Sea World, the Mormon Battalion, the model train museum, the science museum, old town San Diego, Boomers, the tide pools and lighthouse at Point Loma, and swimming at the hotel. (Not to mention all the delicious and way too much food we enjoyed!) Honestly, the plane rides to and from California were just as exciting for the boys as any of the rest of the vacation. It was great.

I have a gazillion pictures I could post, but will try to only post a few. Watch for a post on the lighthouse of it's own. That was a particularly inspiring, stoic, and tender moment for me, considering I have a special place in my heart for lighthouses since their symbolism was made our theme during the year at Ricks I was the Relief Society president, and ironically just before I met Josh.

Okay, when it is all said and done, I posted 20 pictures. You can just quickly scroll through them. I honestly cut out more than 1/2 of what I originally picked.
Daddy and Eliza at the beach

Papa taking McKay into the water.

McKay and Kimball going back to the car SOAKING wet.

Ok, I seriously could not leave this one out. Good times. Good laughs.
Here's my dad who sold Ford cars for about 25 years driving a
CHEVY Suburban... oh the shame!

Here is our family in all our photogenic glory getting ready for the whale watching cruise.

Grammy and Papa ready to see those whales, and we did too!

USS Midway interactive jets

Sea World Bat Rays

Trying to get a good glimpse of the dolphins

Mormon Battalion essentials

Panning for gold after the Mormon Battalion tour

At the model train museum

Hurricane simulator at the science museum, where the wind got up to 80 mph

Boomers teapots, ran by our "very own personal attendant" LOL

Again... check out that photogenic family, haha! Oh brother.
Maybe one day we'll get it figured out.  Or not. 

Checking out the hermit crabs at the tide pools

Little sand crab at the tide pools

Current light house at Point Loma

Model of original light house at Point Loma, built on the highest
point, but not exactly the best point for ships to navigate

View of the ocean from original lighthouse

5 comments:

Mike, Sha, Kenna, Kate, & Garrett said...

I am so glad that you guys got to do this. Really just makes me smile, and so happy that you guys had a blast. I want to see all the pictures sometime I am over there.

Unknown said...

Cool pictures. Your Point Loma pictures are great--my sister went to the Point Loma Nazarene College!

Jen said...

So, so, so happy you guys got to go do this!! Looks like you had a blast. :) Thanks for sharing the adorable photos, Kris.

melissa t. said...

Looks like such a fun family vacation...so happy you got to take it :-)

Jessica said...

What a fun and packed trip! I wouldn't cut one picture out of all of that! Love it all!