"'Our family’s faith is in Jesus Christ and is not dependent on outcomes.' ...We do all that we can for the healing of a loved one, and then we trust in the Lord for the outcome."
- Elder Dallin H. Oaks

Monday, June 13, 2011

You know what they say...

I am confident that anyone who reads this knows the cliche' "When it rains, it pours." I also feel pretty confident that anyone who reads this knows how that feels.

I feel semi-confident that most people who read this believe in God. You may or may not have had a fleeting (or possibly lingering) moment  of doubt in His concern for each of his children when things go awry. It is hard to have your prayers answered in a way different than you hope or expect. It's hard when it appears someone else's life is more blessed, more happy or more complete.

Tonight, I feel the need to share my firm belief that our Heavenly Father is aware of the particulars of our life. What seems to be another storm could actually be the opportunity to see another rainbow. He will not make our lives easy. That is not what we came for. He will teach us and draw us close to him in ways that may be painful from our perspective, but healing from His.

Remember this song from Laura Story?

Blessings

We pray for blessings. We pray for peace. Comfort for family, protection while we sleep. We pray for healing. For prosperity. We pray for your mighty hand to ease our suffering. All the while you hear each spoken need, yet love us way too much to give us lesser things.

What if your blessings come through raindrops? What if your healing comes through tears? What if a thousand sleepless nights are what it takes to know you're near? What if trials of this life are your mercies in disguise? 

We pray for wisdom, your voice to hear. We cry in anger when we cannot feel you near. We doubt your goodness, we doubt your love. As if every promise from your word is not enough. All the while you hear each desperate plea, yet long that we'd have faith to believe.

What if your blessings come through raindrops? What if your healing comes through tears? What if a thousand sleepless nights are what it takes to know you're near? What if trials of this life are your mercies in disguise?

When friends betray us, when darkness seems to win we know, the pain reminds this heart that this is not, this is not our home. It's not our home

What if your blessings come through raindrops? What if your healing comes through tears? What if a thousand sleepless nights are what it takes to know you're near?

What if my greatest disappointments, or the aching of this life, is the revealing a greater thirst this world can't satisfy?

What if trials of this life: the rain, the storms, the hardest nights are your mercies in disguise? 

4 comments:

Mindy and Larry said...

thanks for sharing, Kristen! Music can be such a solace, especially during trials. I heard another song, this past week, that made me think of you and Josh! I'll have to find a way to get the link to you, sometime! Love you!

Mike, Sha, Kenna, Kate, & Garrett said...

So true. Again blessed by your wisdom and strength. I love you!

Mark and Colette said...

You are my hero!! Keep going you can do it!I LOVE YOU!

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing this. It is what I needed to hear and helped me realize I am not alone in my feelings concerning the trials I am going through. You and your family are such an inspiration to me.