"'Our family’s faith is in Jesus Christ and is not dependent on outcomes.' ...We do all that we can for the healing of a loved one, and then we trust in the Lord for the outcome."
- Elder Dallin H. Oaks

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

What am I doing?


I am sure (well, at least I hope I am not alone) that every mother can relate to the overwhelming responsibility of parenthood. I have asked myself so many times, "What am I doing?" I have these three precious boys to take care of, and I just wish that they came with their own customized instruction manuals. Case in point: "Benson Mac User Manual" For Illness, see page 13... PAGE 13: Malfunction due to illness: In case of extreme and frequent ear infections, take child to outpatient surgery for ear implants-OR-take child to chiropractor 3-4 times until problem resolves. THEN, if ear infections persist after proper placement of tubes, wait patiently for another antibiotic to run its course-OR-quickly make arrangements to take the child to another qualified specialist to seek further instruction-OR-consult chiropractor. WHAT DO I DO? The poor baby just got tubes last THURSDAY and on SATURDAY night had a fever of 101. Sunday night, controlled it with Motrin. Monday night 104!!! I feel so bad for him. I wish I could do more to make him feel better. I really want to try the chiropractor, but I am honestly scared. I don't dare go to the chiropractor myself, I am scared to take my baby. I need someone to just help me get past that fear. It is so sad when he is in so much pain and he just snuggles his little head on my shoulder. Poor baby. Despite being super sick, he can still give me a good smile when he sees the camera.

5 comments:

Mike, Sha, Kenna, Kate, & Garrett said...

I feel so bad for you and Benson. Poor little guy has been sick forever. It couldn't hurt to try the chiropractor. If you need me to go with you I would be more than happy to. I should probably take Kenna anyway, just for an adjustment. Hope you find some help.

Sha

Kandice said...

awww. kristen. I feel so sorry for him. I PROMISE the chiropractor does not hurt. They don't do the conventional method like on adults. They have a little tool that they slightly press in the right spot and it taps really gently. If it makes you feel any better, all 3 of my kids laughed when they did it. Give it a try. The older Dr. Nelson is who I would recommend, Lynn is his name i think. He is the one who cured me as a baby over 23 years ago. Crazy huh. give it a try though. good luck.

Chandra said...

I'm sorry the tubes didn't work. I'm also sorry I don't have any fantastic advice. Maybe try the chiropractor thing while in the process of getting a second opinion. good luck

Hope said...

Oh, this is so sad! My kids were fortunately never ones prone to ear infections, but if you remember Shelby was. Maybe ask Eric. Or Kandice seems to have some good advice. Maybe just go meet with the chiropractor for a pre-appointment chat. Ask him to show you exactly (without actually doing it) what he is going to do and what the benefits and possible side effects could be. Maybe that would make you feel less nervous.

Heidi said...

AArrrgggg!!! Again I hear ya! Kairi had an infection after her tubes were placed. They told me it was really common to have that happen--but only one infection after the tubes. Hopefully it is under control by now. Anyhow, I have heard that chiropractors work-- I never tried it. Also I have heard that massage therapy works--again, never tried it. None of it can hurt I think. Best wishes on this HORRIBLE journey!!! Oh, sorry I meant to get you the name of the ENT we saw, his name is John Bennett. He has an office in Heber and SLC. Hope that help, if you still want the second opinion.