I have tons of pictures to post and lots to catch up on since we had a great Christmas, McKay's 5th birthday, an eventful trip to Daniel's Summit Lodge, and a fun new year. I just don't want to take the time to wait for my frustratingly slow computer to download the pictures to slide.com or to even sort through them to pick out a few to post... so I will save that for another day, when it is not 9:00 at night and I am so so so sleepy.
For anyone who missed the last post, we are having another baby. I am 20 weeks (half way there, YIPEE) and yes, we are having a girl. Guess I am going to have to change the name of my blog. Anyway, if you haven't noticed, we have named each of our boys after a family member and then after a latter-day prophet. Joshua Kimball, John McKay, and Benson Mac. So, what do you name a girl? We don't want to pick just any name because we spent a lot of time picking the boys' names. We want her name to be significant in some way but also have family ties. The name we have been most decided (but not settled) on is Eliza (After Eliza R Snow, who was of course, a strong and righteous woman in the early days of the church. She is also Lorenzo Snow's older sister and actually was very influential in his conversion to the church.) Josh wasn't sure about it because he wanted it to feel a little more modern... so we have thought about giving her the name Eliza, and calling her Ella. For middle names, we have considered several different family names but just can't really come to a firm conclusion. Now I am starting to wonder if we just need to go back to the drawing board. Other names we have considered include: Hannah (Montana... grrr), Lucy (which we both love but unfortunately was wasted on a dog), Emma (which one of my cousins and his wife named their daughter), and Jessie (Josh thinks its more of a boy's name). Clearly, we are stuck when it comes to girl names. That is what this post is about. Any suggestions? Any comments on the afore mentioned names? I realize that some people keep names quiet to avoid such comments. I am welcoming them because I just can't feel as good about any of them as I did with the boys. Benson's was especially easy since it was actually the name I thought of first for Kimball. Anyway, please... let me know what you think...
11 comments:
Yay for pink and ribbons and bows and makeup and, and, and...
Names are hard but since you asked for it, here are my two cents: Who cares if someone already took the name. If you like it, use it. I like family names or naming after someone because it makes me feel like I am connecting my child to someone and giving them someone to look up to. I kind of like Ella Eliza B. That way you have the name you like and the strong religious connection. Good luck!
Eliza is pretty! What about Eliza Marian? Then she could be mommy junior too. Whatever you choose will be great. I'm glad you're having a girl! My girls need some girl cousins.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
I hadn't heard until this latest post...haven't checked on you in a few weeks I guess.
I'm so happy for you, and you'll LOVE having a girl!!!!
Wow, Kristen! This is so exciting! To think that you are having a girl!!! Choosing a name is such a personal and sensitive endeavor. I was wondering how you would be able to carry on the tradition of pioneers and Latter- Day prophets with a girl name! And all you've logically explained makes perfect sense. Eliza is beautiful, but I sense that you're not completely satisfied with it? I was glancing through a church history book and I saw lots of references to Mary for Mary Fielding Smith the wife of Hyrum and mother to Joseph F. Smith and grandmother to Joseph Fielding Smith... other names I saw were Martha, Jane, and Ann or Anne--in addition to Lucy, Emma, and Eliza. I am excited to see what you and Josh finally come up with, and I am sure that you'll find the name that fits your little girl!
Giving baby name advice is probably not something I should do...but here's my two bits anyways! I like Eliza...but it is a little outdated. I LOVE Jesse, but that is probably because I know a few girls with that name and they are all really neat talented people! Anymore girls are getting guy names and guys are getting girl names! What ever you decide I am sure will be awesome!
Also it is great seeing you in church every once in awhile! Too bad we don't get to chat more often!
I think that any prophets wife's names would be cool. Or anyone from church history that really means a lot to you personally. I am still just so excited for you. That is awesome!
I LOVE LOVE LOVE Emma!!! I was actually going to say that, If you're going for important church figures you can't beat her! David and Lindsey have it yes, but middle name??? Before your McKay I loved it for a girl... It might be neat if you could update Marjory, I went to school with a girl named Jory.
What about Haley, kind of using HALE from Emma Hale Smith? (saying it HAY-LEE not HALLE, of course!) I love Eliza and do not think it sounds old-fashioned. It sounds classic. I liked the suggestion someone else made with Eliza Marian, sounds great together! Lucy is adorable and so what if you used it on a dog! Is the dog still alive? It's dead therefore the name is now available! What about Taylor - I know it would be after John Taylor, but would that be weird? Or Abigail after Brigham Young's mother? What about Adalyn, the ADA being after Pres. Hinckley's mother? Elizabeth (wife of Newell K. Whitney) or Katherine or Sophropnia (Sophie), sister of Joseph?
I totally support classic names, the ones that never go out of style because they have been around so long. What about Belle for Belle Spafford - former RS General president. Or Ina - for Ina Coolbrith - an LDS woman who was CA first poet laureatte. Just throwing some ideas out there.
I really love the suggestion of Abigail. I also love Eliza, and Camilla, but call her Millie or something cute like that. I just can't wait to see the little cutie!
Kristen when I read Eliza, I fell in love with it, what a beautiful classic name, like someone mentioned above. I don't think it sounds old at all. That is what everyone does now anyway, use old names and makes them new again, or changes them up. My vote goes for Eliza. With that said though, there is a little girl in Easton's class named Azra, every time I say it I think of Ezra Taft Benson. Or you could do something like Josie for Joseph Smith.
Post a Comment