This is going to be a shot in the dark. I am mostly writing this to see if anyone who might read this blog has ever experienced the same symptoms. I have been dizzy (I know how pathetic that sounds) for the last 12 days. I have been to the doctor three different times and have now had three different diagnoses. First was that it was due to stress, since there was no obvious onset of infection. A few days later I went back because what he had suggested wasn't working. Second, it was a Eustachian tube dysfunction: remedied with antihistamines, decongestants, expectorant and motion sickness pills. A few days later and after no relief, I went back and the third probability is vestibular neuritis. You can't actually see the vestibular nerve in an exam so you can really only treat the viral infection symptomatically. Prednisone.

Almost three days later I am not sure if it is working, although maybe it takes time to build up in your system? Not only that, but I guess the infection can last for eight weeks. EIGHT. WEEKS. Do you hear that people? This dizziness is not only annoying, but it interferes with my daily life. I get busy trying to do what needs to be done and I have to sit down just to get my bearings back and to ease the nausea. If I take something for the motion sickness I am super sleepy and worthless anyway. Needless to say, my house is a mess, I barely leave the couch (because I am dizzy even just sitting), and I feel like a pathetic. Honestly, think about it. My complaint is that I am dizzy. Really? But I
am. VERY. VERY. DIZZY.
I don't even want to consider the fourth diagnosis which seems very unlikely since I don't have any of the other symptoms, and that one could get me really worked up! ;) Best not to count the chickens before they hatch, right? Just hoping someone might read this and know something!!
11 comments:
I wish I could say that I have experienced this so maybe you would have an answer, but I haven't. I really hope you can find someone who has, that must be so frustrating, especially with everything else going on and being a mother. I loved reading through all of your posts, seeing all of the pictures. Eliza looked beautiful in her Christmas dress, and I loved her headband, see that is why I need a girl. ha
Mckay looks so handsome, and he definitely is one amazing boy!
I'm so glad you got an opportunity to have two little anniversaries, you deserve every minute.
I looked at Amy Jo's blog, I couldn't believe how big Benson looked in all of those pictures. He looked so grown up it almost shocked me.
You are amazing, on top of everything else you got your blog updated, you ROCK! :)
This really is crappy! I just hate that it is happening to you. Maybe you could hide in a cave or something for a while and then come out and everything will better.;)
Love your little McKay. Kenna says she is going to marry him, but not yet because she isn't big yet.
Oh the train pictures. That is how about 99% of our turn out to. Glad we are normal.
Happy anniversary to you and Josh-9 years, wow! Thanks for the example. I have to agree that Joshy Squashy;) is a great person, he had to be to get such a great wife.
Eliza in her dress. SO DANG CUTE!
Being dizzy really stinks! I've been dealing with dizziness when I stand up (even if I stand up really slowly), followed by my eyesight going black until I get the blood pumping again.
Someone suggested low blood pressure. Did you have your blood pressure taken when you went to the dr? I imagine you probably would have.
The only other thing that I can think of and have dealt with is being anemic. Low iron. But, you get so dizzy, and so darn tired that you can hardly function. All it takes is a simple blood test.
But, your dr.'s probably already tested for both of those, so I'm probably not much help, other than to say that I've felt the dizziness too, and it really does throw you out of whack.
Hope you can get it all figured out soon.
Oh, and your kids are absolutely ADORABLE! And, congrats to you and Josh on 9 years. I didn't know that you got married in December. So did we - on the 28th!
Once in a while I will wake up and be dizzy but NOTHING what you are experiencing day in and out. What I take for my dizziness and nauseousness is the herb "GINGER ROOT" found at Wal-mart by the vitamins. It's only about $5 if you want to try it out. I take two and usually within an hour or less I feel better. Don't know if that will help or not.
Take a pregnancy test... just to ease your mind. :)
Phew...I caught up on all your posts. I LOVE all the pictures and updates!
As far as the dizziness-is that called vertigo?? Google it.
When I get really stressed and have a lack of sleep...like this week... every time I close my eyes I practically fall over and feel like I am being shaken on a boat.
I have been on prednisone once...it is NOT a pleasant medicine, but it did fix the problem!
Good luck...I hope you feel better super fast!
vertigo? I've had it and it's awful. It lasted a few days and I was So dizzy and had awful nausea!
I'm so sorry and hope you figure it out soon! And that it goes away!
Kris...we should chat. It's honestly not that uncommon to have dizziness like that. And I COMPLETELY understand. I had dizziness pretty much JUST like that about five years ago...for an entire year. Don't let that freak you out--my understanding is that most people don't have it that long. I went to TONS of doctors (including having an MRI of my brain and seeing a neurologist...which you are far too familiar with already), and no one could really tell me what it was. The one diagnosis I was sort of given was benign positional vertigo, but the neurologist said he didn't think that's what I actually had.
I hear you about the meds. I tried EVERYTHING. They put me on diphenhydramine (aka benadryl...lame) first and it did nothing, followed by meclizine (aka dramamine...which also did nothing), and a whole bunch of other meds. The only one that kind of helped a little was called promethazine (I think). Mostly all the meds did was make me so tired I couldn't cope, but they did help with the nausea.
I was CRAZY nauseous for about 2 months (until I got used to the constant dizziness). On the upside, I lost about 35 lbs because I couldn't stand to eat more than a couple bites at a time. :) (Hey, gotta look at the bright side, right?)
And I totally understand. There were times I honestly couldn't walk without assistance because I would fall down or crash into walls and stuff. I didn't honestly understand that there are actually lots of different kinds of dizzy until I dealt with that. It was ridiculous.
The good news is, it usually goes away eventually, and if it lasts very long, you will get used to it so you can cope. After about a year, mine just started to go away. And honestly, I think it was caused by stress. I was in a stressful situation that I couldn't do anything about, and when my situation changed, it started getting better, but I didn't understand that at the time.
So my best advice is, take the meds at night, if you can, so you can get lots of good sleep (I would take mine and crash for like 9-10 hours sometimes). And I totally know you are in a CRAZY stressful life situation right now, but do everything you can to destress and take care of yourself. It will help.
I'm pretty sure you have my number...give me a call if you want to chat about it, because honestly, what you have sounds pretty much exactly like what I had to deal with.
Love you, girl! Hang in there.
P.S. I also totally understand how awful it is to deal with something that can be so freaking debilitating when you look totally normal and fine. People don't understand dizziness--seems like no big deal. But know that I totally understand, and it IS a big, big deal.
I had vertigo really bad right after I got my flu shot this year. I literally could not stand up for two days. Joseph took me to emergi-care, and they didn't have any specifics for me. They said it could be related to the flu shot I had. My symptoms didn't last nearly as long as yours, though!
I hope everything's okay.
Sorry to hear about your illness.
Just thought I would tell you my father, went through years of dizzy spells and nausea. He was not cabable of even getting off the bed, because he was so dizzy. He said the room felt like it was just spinning and spinning. The doc thought it was "vertigo", but it ended up being "Meniere's
Disease". Google this and you will get some info on it. You could call me if you would like to speak with me about my dad. He had been given all kinds of medication to ease the dizziness and nausea to no avail. In the end, he had surgery to remove all of his inner ear in the right side of his head. He is totally deaf in that ear. He still can hear in his left ear. He no longer had the dizziness or the nausea. This treatment was extreme, but it did work. I hope this may at least give you an idea. God bless.
Post a Comment