"'Our family’s faith is in Jesus Christ and is not dependent on outcomes.' ...We do all that we can for the healing of a loved one, and then we trust in the Lord for the outcome."
- Elder Dallin H. Oaks

Thursday, February 10, 2011

A laugh, a tasty bite, and a vent: ready, set, go...

I have realized that it is probably best to just go ahead and update since so many have expressed their concern. In my post a few days ago, I didn't mean to be ambiguous as to fish for sympathy, it is just that I am still not sure what to think and I just needed a dose of blog-therapy.  I was feeling pretty discouraged and worried that my four children deserve better. 
Today, when I woke up I realized that my symptoms were not only still there, but were worse! Discouragement set in again, and pursued through out the majority of the day. 
Forgive me for a minute as I digress: 
I was thinking hard about how to stay positive and decided that I would blog to work through my feelings, even if I didn't post. I made my way to Facebook first and ironically, the first update I saw was from my friend Aderyn (who happens to be an amazing cook, btw. Yes, Aderyn. You are! Check out her foodie blog: Confessions of a Wannabe Chef. You will be drooling for Creme Brulee) 
Anyway, she posted a couple of links to Youtube for a foreign version of Candid Camera and I was laughing my guts out. (See my last post because it is totally worth a few minutes to get in a good laugh.) 
Then, I got lost in cyberspace and spent way too much time reading blogs. I was blog-stalking a blog my friend Mindy started and one of my besties, Sha, contributes to; called Apron Girls. I came across a recipe I HAD to try. It just so turned out that Josh had to run to the store so I asked him to pick up balsamic vinegar to make these Balsamic Glazed Pork Chops
To go with it, I roasted potatoes with EVOO, kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion flakes and rosemary. Steamed broccoli rounded it off. If I had raspberries, we could have had a yogurt and raspberry parfait for desert, but still...it was delish!! I plan on making it for Mindy and Larry when they come visit in March (Yay!! And, now you two don't have to feel like guinea pigs because I already tried it, Lol!) Anyway, I had to share because one of my favorite things to come across on a blog is a picture and a recipe for something new and yummy someone has tried. (Uh, I am too lazy to type the recipe, that's why I linked it above). 


Ok, getting back to the main reason for my post tonight: I did post about two weeks ago on my crazy vertigo and the possibility of Vestibular Neuritis. That, theoretically, could still be a possibility. But, I am also struggling with numbness and vision problems too. Ugh! It is so frustrating because just daily chores are so taxing. The world is spinning so fast I have to work really hard to focus on what I am actually looking at through my double vision. Yesterday, I went to pick up Eliza from her nap and we both fell down the stairs. Luckily I was holding her with both arms and was able to keep her from getting hurt, but that was kind-of the straw that broke the camel's back concerning my mood!
Anyway, I have had a mostly normal MRI and I am waiting to get an appointment with a neurologist to just get to the bottom of it all. There are a few different possible diagnosis, but I won't be any closer to that until I can get lucky enough for a cancellation. Otherwise, the neurology waiting list is anticipated to be scheduled starting June 1! Good grief!
The biggest thing is that I feel like my kids deserve to be taken care of, loved and played with. I hate that I feel so... not like myself, that all I want to do is lie down on the couch so the room will spin a little slower. Kimball was crying tonight because he wanted to know what was going to happen to them if Josh died and I was too sick. He said that someone had to take care of them, and he is absolutely right. That's my problem. All of my symptoms are annoying and interfere with my daily life, I am stuck at home for the majority of the day because I can't focus enough to drive. (I would probably spend most of the day at home anyway, it's just the knowledge that I CAN'T leave, I guess, that drives me bonkers.) I can't eat or swallow without a burning/tingling/pain in the back of my throat. Still... even more than all the annoying symptoms, I worry about my kids. I wonder why they might be the ones who have to deal with sick parents. Parents who should be taking care of them and playing with them and taking them to do the things they want to do when possible. It makes my heart break.
I have to say that Josh has been carrying the load for the last four weeks. He has been amazing and I love him all the more for it. But, part of me wants to scream because he should have the chance to rest and take care of himself when he is feeling run down rather than worrying about hurrying home from work to play the father and the mother.
I should be able to take care of Josh I should be able to take care of my four young children. I should be able to give them more. Don't they deserve that?
Ok, I will stop complaining. I did warn you at the beginning of this post that I was going to blog out my discouragement, but now I am feeling super guilty. So, let me make up for it.
I am going to blog in the next few days about some more funny things my boys have done and said and maybe give a small update on how each of them are doing. I will try to find something inspirational and uplifting. I promise. Tonight, it's almost 11. I am tired. I just need to say my prayers and get some sleep. So, for now... Goodnight!

11 comments:

Mindy said...

Oh, Kristen... I don't even know any words to say. You, your husband, your kids...have been through way more than your share. Please let others help you. I would be glad to do anything you need me to (Aubrey too), and I know you have so many people who love you who will do whatever you need. Let us help.

Joie said...

I wish I knew the perfect words to say to make you feel better. Just know that you make me want to be a better mom.

mama wallis said...

I hope you get a good nights rest! Your recipe looks yummy... I will have to try it once I am cooking again:) You are so good to make new things and experiment!
I am very glad to hear that Josh has been able to take care of you. I wish I was closer so I could make you dinner, or do your laundry... or something!
You are amazing!!!!!!! Love ya!

Confessions of a "Wanna be Chef" said...

Yum!!!!! Kristen those pork chops look so good.. I am going to have to try this one..Cooking is such a good way to destress. Keep up the blogs..I love reading them...

Wendy Kremin said...

Kristen, I'm glad you are going to the neurologist. I thought I would just let you know that I have had some similar symptoms with severe anxiety. I wouldn't discount your symptoms to that, but maybe they are somewhat related. You are under so much mental stress and strain, maybe your body is reacting. I'm not diagnosing anything and you should definitely see a neurologist but I just wanted to share that with you,I've had dizziness, tingling, etc. although I've never had double vision. Get checked but maybe you could try some stress reducing techniques as well and take life a little slower, even if that sounds impossible. I love youand we are praying for your little family continually!

Schneidy said...

Oh, hunny bunny! I feel for you! You are doing the best you can. Hang in there and I'll be crossing my fingers for a diagnosis for you. It will get better. I may have to try that recipe, it looks tasty!

Kandice said...

I have one word to share....unfair. I think it is totally unfair for you to have to go through this. The lord must love and trust you very very much to load so many trials upon you.
I truly truly hope they can figure it out. I hope all your kids stay really healthy and everything with Josh and in your home stays good!

Mike, Sha, Kenna, Kate, & Garrett said...

You guys are in my constant thoughts and prayers.(and sometimes dreams too;)) I love you.

Elizabeth said...

Kristen I think about your little family just about everyday. Brenda said she had talked with your mom and I am so sorry for all that your little family has to deal with. You are in my prayers. I wish I could do something for you. I admire you so much and hope you will see a rainbow at the end of this ugly storm. And remember it is okay to vent and if you need to do it everyday, please do!

Holly said...

Kristen - you don't know me, but I have gotten to know you through Kristin and Sha. I just want you to know that our family is praying for you, your husband, and your children. It's impossible to know why some people seem to get way more that their share of difficulties in life, but I know that our Heavenly Father and our Savior know of your struggles, pains, and heartaches and that they will watch over you and strengthen you in you time of need. May you feel their arms around you and the prayers of so many in your behalf.

Holly said...

Kristen- you don't know me, but I have gotten to know you a little bit through Kristin and Sha. I just wanted you to know that our family is praying for you, your husband, and your children. It is impossible to know why some people seem to get way more than their share of trials in this earthly life. I do know that our Heavenly Father and our Savior know you and love you. I pray you feel their loving arms around you as you deal with these difficult trials.