"'Our family’s faith is in Jesus Christ and is not dependent on outcomes.' ...We do all that we can for the healing of a loved one, and then we trust in the Lord for the outcome."
- Elder Dallin H. Oaks

Saturday, January 15, 2011

My kids are my glue

I just have to share these stories about my kids, but first-- so as to be sure you know I am not trying to "blag" (how do you feel about that-- YOU being, you know who you are!! Lol!) I must qualify:
Sometimes being a mom is really hard. It's a full time, 24/7 job that is overwhelming and frankly I always feel like I am falling short.  If I pay more attention to the kids, the laundry suffers. If I try to get housework done, I have to leave my baby crying and the boys to spend WAY too much time on their new Wii.  It always seems to be a delicate balance that I haven't been able to find.


BUT...

The best part about being a mom is the hugs and kisses and the quiet, I-love-yous and I-missed-you-at-schools. It's when I have lost my temper and a little boy wraps his arms around me anyway and tells me he's sorry and that he loves me. It's when they say things that are so funny they put a piece of me back together and I just have to share them, and at the very least just write them down. So here we go!!


Kimball: I am not sure about whether or not I shared the story about the little girl at school who he started calling his girlfriend and how he was suddenly "stumped" (dumped-- for anyone who may not be up on "Kimball-lingo"), but here's a follow-up: I was fixing his hair for school and he was being picky about how this hair fell and that. I asked him why it mattered, he told me that said ex-girlfriend liked it that way. I asked him if she was his girlfriend again and he took in a deep breath and then exhaling said, "Nope, but she likes me." It was so matter-of-fact and kinda eat-your-heart-outish. It was WAY funnier than it seems now that I am retelling it. Trust me on that. 

McKay: We went on the Polar Express just before Christmas as a gift from my parents. The kids had a blast and still talk about it even though it was a month ago. Mrs. Claus danced with McKay and he giggled and had a good time. But, when he sat back down on my mom's lap he said, "Oh, I guess I am in love now!" Ha! I think that he thinks if you dance with someone you are in love with them. He also sneezed a few times and said, "Oh, I bless-you'd" (I think that comes from saying "bless you" every time they sneeze!) He had a birthday in December, which I will eventually -maybe- get around to blogging about. He is a handsome and charismatic six-year-old who is constantly (in his own words) "girl-trapped" at school! Ha! Funny boy is so oblivious. He said, "I don't know why they are always following me when I want to play." 

Benson: Be prepared-- and if you are easily offended, just skip this part. I just have to write it down so I don't forget because I laughed my guts out.  I asked him to get ready for a bath. I proceeded to draw the water and kept encouraging him to get ready. He FINALLY came in to the bathroom in all his birthday-suit glory and pointed to his bare boy parts. He said, "Mom!!! Heavenly Father put a bouncy ball in there, see??!!"

I just smiled and nodded as I lifted him into the tub and quickly faked a cough to cover the chuckle. Later that night, Josh and I burst out as I shared the story. Oh my innocent, silly little man. 

Eliza: That baby girl is growing like a weed. Eight months old and just under 16 pounds. She is finally gaining weight compliments of table food. I tried and tried baby food. She refused. Case-in-point: One night I tried to feed her baby food before we ate dinner. I picked peaches because I figured they were sweet and I had a better chance of getting her to eat something sweet than something like peas or what-have-you. She turned her head and pursed her lips and pushed the spoon away with her little fingers. I continued to try and successfully got a spoonful in her mouth. She grimaced and spit it out as fast as it went in. Whatever. Dinner was ready. Our veggie for the night was steamed broccoli. That is what she wanted. Broccoli. Steamed and salted. She ate a lot of it. We also had lasagna for dinner. She went to town on that too. I conceded. Since then I have just fed her whatever we are having. (With the exception of foods that should be saved for a year or older.) She is trying to get up on her hands and knees and consequently scoots backwards. She can get herself turned around in whatever direction she wants to look and that is usually whichever direction gives her the best view to watch her brothers. Wonder if there is any chance she will be a girly girl? 

6 comments:

Shafferprincess said...

Love, love, LOVE the bouncy ball! I'm still giggling about it! :)

Connor was like that with food, too. He didn't like the baby food, but give him what we had and he was happy.

And, my boys went through a stage of "girl-trapped" too. They even carried it over to "pizza-trapped" (girl on one side, boy on the other) "parent-trapped" and "boy-trapped." It was hilarious!

I love your boys. I love you. Thanks for your friendship and for the laughs tonight.

Mark and Colette said...

That is a great story about the bouncy ball.. So cute! Keep these great stories coming because you will forget them if you don't write them down. Print your blog.. Love ya sister!

Grammy said...

oh those boys!!! Everyday is a wonderful day in the eyes of Kimball, McKay and Benson, even though they might get themselves in trouble, or "Time Out'd" they are the light of my life! and their little sister is absoulutly Grammy's angel!

Mindy and Larry said...

Kristen, your stories about your children are indeed the little things that make everything else worth it! You have taken a moment to enjoy the ride of motherhood! Thanks for sharing!

Jen said...

Glad you are continually finding things to laugh about--isnt' that what kids are for?! :) Hilarious!

Love you, Kris. Thanks for sharing your sweet kiddos and their antics with all of us!

Chandra said...

I love it when I can see the world from my kids' eyes (bouncy balls!). So funny. As for the previous post I love your swing analogy because I feel that same way many many times. Just keep swinging and don't try to jump off ;)